Pages

9/13/2010

Monday, September 13th, 2010

First off, with an addendum to last night's blog.


Yes, even seminarians pull pranks on each other. I had found my room in disarray right before night prayer. Thank you for the great start of the week and it gave me a good laugh.

"Good Morning, Good Morning and Happy Monday"
in the words of the impeccable Fr. Michael Holzmann.

I had my Philosophy and Multimedia Comm classes today. Philosophy had a debate over the existence over Adam and Eve and their true existence which I think in hine-sight was very enlightening. One of the brother seminarians pointed out that I didn't know about. Socrates the philosopher (like there's any other Socrates we know about) doesn't have any proof of existence other then people writing about him. His argument was, why is it so hard for people to accept that Adam and Eve existed when they have a genealogy line going from Abraham all the way up to Noah continuing to Adam and Eve in the old testament and within the Gospel of Luke, and its so easy to accept Socrates with not one physical shred of proof (besides his followers writings, of course). Human reason should come to a tougher time coming to a conclusion of if Socrates existed rather than the Bible running a genealogy line from my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ all the way back to the beginning of time. It was very intreging material.

Afterwards, I took the Seminary van to St. Johns for my Multimedia Communications class. I really like the people in the class. I usually forget peoples names, but in that class, I'm pretty good so far.

Went out to lunch with dad, and his friend from work. We went to a Johnny Rockets type place, and I had a HUGE burger. It was literally two hands stacked on top of each other. But I get the rest of my healthy eating habits at the Seminary. Their lunch is the best though because I dig the cold-cut sandwiches they have there for us.

I got back to the Seminary around 3pm(-ish?) and I straightened up my room which has been a disaster for too long (I'm still not done), and played a few rounds of ping-pong with Brother Joel. I never played before entering the Seminary, but I got to say I'm not terrible. I'm not great, but not terrible.

5:45 was Evening Prayer (EP) in the Main Chapel with Monsignor Thelen. I can't help but think his voice is very "announcer-ish" (and if you're reading this Monsignor, I mean that in the most reverend way possible). I can't help but think he would be a great news anchor. He has a demanding presence, and he most definitely gets it.

Right after, I skipped dinner, because I wasn't feeling well. I went to bed around 6 and didn't wake up til 9:30.  We had 9:45 Night Prayer (NP) and I walked very "hazily" (not sure if that's an English word) to the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. Thank goodness I didn't fall asleep. That would be very unholy.

2 comments:

  1. Hello James. It's Anthony from Multimedia Class. I'm a Catholic but I have my differences with our religion not our faith (discussion that could be had at another time).

    I draw a lot of inspiration from the Bible. But a lot of it is shady to me too. My one beef with Adam and Eve is that (and correct me if I'm wrong at any point) they had two sons (even after Able was killed). Where does the woman in the equation for reproduction come in? Did God create more humans and if so why doesn't the Bible record this?

    My Freshman theology teacher (and he's a brother) said that a lot of the early stories in the Bible are just that: stories. Bishop Catanello (good friend of mine) said in one of his homilies that these stories were meant to give early humans an understanding of things they couldn't understand at the time. But we draw meaning from them.

    You can look me up on Facebook or continue this discussion in class if you like. I admire what you are doing and wish you nothing but the best in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jimbo!! its the sista- way to go seminarians! i enjoy stories like this one you made my incrediably long day better :)

    haha it says im pete! well its not him this time lol i dont have a google account yet

    ReplyDelete